Principles of Leadership
Principles of Leadership in Complex Systems
Generated by Elizabeth Sawin, Climate Interactive, with the 4th cohort of Donella Meadows Leadership Fellows, Cobb Hill Ecovillage, July 2009
- Stay humble, stay a learner.
- Expand horizons in time and space.
- We can draw on analysis and intuition to guide our participation in systems.
- A systems view can offer at once practical insights and metaphysical/spiritual insights.
- Get the beat. Look where the system has been. Ask yourself where it might be going.
- Everything flows.
- There is more than one way to fill a bathtub (in flows and outflows).
- Feedback orchestrates flows and interconnections.
- Reinforcing feedback can serve us with self-sustaining change but it also can push systems out of balance.
- Look to balancing loops to maintain systems at a goal; watch for balancing loops that resist your change efforts.