Through our programs we seek to increase the leadership capacity of sustainability champions in service of a just, healthy, and life-sustaining world. Building on successes, we strive to bring more and more people into the sustainability movement, thus inspiring numbers, inspiration and action.
Our current programs and projects are:
• Donella Meadows Leadership Fellows Network. We convene a talented network of sustainability leaders from around the world who practice sustainability from a strong, integrated personal and professional foundation. They know – and we offer approaches and tools to reinforce – that life-sustaining change comes through shared vision and communities of diverse actors learning and working together. All are graduates of the Donella Meadows Leadership Fellows Program.
• Young Leaders Initiatives. Our primary youth initiatives include courses and presentations in high schools and universities on sustainability, leadership and systems thinking. We also promote youth engagement and intergenerational partnership through writing and policy change efforts.
• Art of Sustainability. We offer workshops based on the conviction that creative problem solving is essential for addressing the many challenges we face in bringing about a sustainable future for people and planet. Art and creative expression stimulate the right side of the brain, and seek meaning, expansive possibilities, and the big picture. Those who engage in creative processing often experience a profound sense of new possibilities and are more effective in their work place.
• Biomimicry. We have developed and piloted an open source, semester-long curriculum “Learning from Nature: A Course in Biomimicry” for high school, university and adult learners. Read more and download the free materials.
• iAct Webinars for Sustainability. A series of interactive webinars on key sustainability, systems change, and leadership topics that bring together intergenerational audiences. Our goals are to foster a global, intergenerational network through dialogue on sustainability challenges; build leadership capacity among network members and inspire informed and innovative action for sustainability outcomes.
• Farmers Apprenticeship. Designed for those interested in taking up sustainable farming as a livelihood, with a particular emphasis on learning to farm with draft horses. In addition, apprentices engage with market gardening, dairy production, and community living. The time commitment can range from one season to two years.
• Better World Workshop (BWW). BWW’s mission is to identify opportunities for achieving economic development through invention, with a focus on application in rural Africa.
We also offer Services to the general public in an array of sustainability leadership practices and issue areas.