Fellows Workshop and Project Reports
The following reports, written by Core Team members Edie Farwell and Dominic Stucker focus on Fellows workshops and projects, including an overview of activities, photos, quotes, participant feedback and ongoing work.
Edie Farwell, Dominic Stucker and Alex Bauermeister developed an open source, semester-long biomimicry curriculum for high school, university and adult learners. Read more and download the curriculum and materials here:
Art of Sustainability
- Dominic Stucker and Johanna Bozuwa wrote an article highlighting Jay Mead‘s pioneering work in the “art of sustainability” for the Society for Organizational Learning‘s (SoL’s) Reflections Journal, volume 12, number 2. Download the article and commentaries from three Fellows here: “The Art of Sustainability: Creative Expression as a Tool for Social Change.”
- Core Member Jay Mead painted and published the book A Little Farm Story in September 2010. The book celebrates the hard work that goes into small family farms, acting as an intergenerational guide through the seasons of a year. The originals are painted on canvas pages 35” x 40”. A Little Farm Story has been featured in farm festivals, open mics, and elementary schools. Purchase A Little Farm Story for $15, including shipping.
- View some of Jay’s projects, installations and workshops on his Explorations Blog.
Core Team member Stephen Leslie, who runs our Farmers Apprenticeship, has been writing articles, speeches, and a novel reflecting on life on the farm and the broader movement for local, sustainable agriculture.
- Stephen’s work with sustainable farming and draft horses was featured in the May 2013 New York Times article “Farm Equipment that Runs on Oats.”
- Stephen published the book The New Horse-Powered Farm: Tools and Systems for the Small-scale, Sustainable Market Grower with Chelsea Green Press in January 2013.
- Stephen wrote and gave Cobb Hill Harvest Celebration Keynote Address in October 2011.
- Stephen originally published Partnering Kids with Horses in the 2011 Fall edition of the Small Farmer’s Journal. Reprinted with permission.
- Beautifully capturing the pull of a family farm, Stephen published a novel, The Gleaner, in June 2011. The Harvard Book Store writes: “Land is a character in this novel along with Vermont farm boy Danny Sweeney and the people he meets as he makes his way across the continent – Amish folk, migrant farm workers, Native Americans, rodeo cowboys, people who are living out their lives still connected to the working landscape amid the tectonic societal shifts of the 1960’s counterculture… More than a coming of age story, it is a paean to our lost heritage – our vital connection to land and working animals and to the earth itself.” Purchase The Gleaner for $15, plus shipping.
- Stephen originally published For the Love of Horses on the Cedar Mountain Farm Blog in June, 2010. Reprinted with permission.
Core Team member Dominic Stucker has been making strategic efforts to promote youth engagement and intergenerational partnership for sustainability, especially within and through the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), the world’s largest environment-development network. He volunteered on the Steering Committee for IUCN’s Commission on Education and Communication and (co)authored the following pieces:
- IUCN World Conservation Congress: Interactive Youth and Intergenerational Journey report by Dominic Stucker, Melanie Zurba, Grace Mwaura, Caroline Seagle, and Ulamila Bulamaibau, Task Force on Intergenerational Partnership for Sustainability, IUCN, November 2012.
- IUCN Resolution 5.008: Increasing Youth Engagement and Intergenerational Partnership Across and Through the Union by Dominic Stucker, Catie Burlando, and Grace Mwaura, co-sponsors UN-mandated University for Peace, Development Alternatives, and Jeju Environment Bureau, 2012.
- Input into 2013-2016 IUCN draft Program Review Process: Report on Cross-Commission Survey – Highlighting Youth Engagement and Intergenerational Partnership by Catie Burlando, Alvin Chandra, Sarah Darymple, Lisa Jokivirta, Bruno Monteferri, Grace Mwaura, and Dominic Stucker, Task Force on Intergenerational Partnership for Sustainability, IUCN, October 2011.
- We’re in This Together: Five reasons why young people are needed to solve the climate crisis by Lisa Jokivirta and Dominic Stucker in Monday Developments Magazine, August 2011.
- A Principled Approach to Justice, Sustainability, and Peace: The Earth Charter Youth Initiative by Dominic Stucker, Hamza Ali Alamoosh, and Nicole Jirón Beirut in Young People, Education, and Sustainability: Exploring Principles, Perspectives, and Praxis edited by Peter Blaze Corcoran and Philip Osano for Wageningen University Press in 2009.
- Intergenerational Partnership for Sustainability by Dominic Stucker in Soka Gakkai International Quarterly, October 2009.
- IUCN Resolution 4.098, Intergenerational Partnership: Fostering ethical leadership for a just, sustainable, and peaceful world by Frits Hesselink and Dominic Stucker, co-sponsors UN-mandated University for Peace, Center for Environmental Legal Studies, International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD), 2008.